Poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac are plants that cause a very itchy skin rash when they come in contact with your skin.  The rash is caused by an allergic reaction to an oil (urushiol) found on the plant. Most commonly the allergic rash occurs on the arms, legs, neck, or face but can be seen anywhere on the body. The red, itchy rash is very uncomfortable and often forms fluid filled bumps or blisters in a linear pattern.  It typically presents within a day or two of contact with the plant and can linger for weeks if left untreated.  The rash is not contagious. Treatment with topical or oral medications such as anithistamines and steroids is effective.  Sometimes a shot of cortisone may be needed.

 

dcc_poison_ivy

 

Please visit our patient education library for more information on poison ivy and poison oak treatment